Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Reflections

"Nothing can for sin atone, Nothing but the blood of Jesus; Naught of good that I have done, Nothing but the blood of Jesus" (Nothing but the Blood of Jesus by Robery Lowry, 1876).

I was reminded of how true these words are as I woke up this morning. On the days leading up to Good Friday and Easter I like to set my alarm to play Jadon Lavik's version of "Nothing But the Blood of Jesus" as a way to start my day focused on the love and sacrifice of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I lay in bed and let these words wash over me and today, after checking my email early this morning, the words of this hymn hit me with a different power thanks to the encouraging words of a friend's late-night email.

To set the backdrop for this post....I was kind of in a daze yesterday, my head in the clouds b/c of the excitement that our long-awaited search process for a Children's Director at our church had finally concluded. We extended an offer last Friday to our number one candidate and I heard back from her yesterday morning saying she would accept. I was ecstatic to say the least!! I floated through the rest of the day...

I went home for dinner and Cari had a yummy meal ready and then we got ready for our 7pm Tenebrae service. I even commented to Cari that "I don't want to walk in at 6:59" but it happened anyway. I sprinted from the parking lot, up to my office to get my worship leading notes, raced down the corridors and walked speedily into the sanctuary and took my seat...the service had just started.

I hadn't missed my role, thankfully, but I was close, and the frustration, embarrassment and guilt threw me off my game. Instead of focusing on the service: the story being retold through the scripture passages, the shadows getting darker reminding us of Christ's suffering on the Cross and of our sin that was atoned for, I was focused on how much of an idiot I was for being late. I fixated on my frustration for not knowing which mic to use and then having to yell b/c the mic I was using wasn't on; or messing up the wording and getting tongue tied during communion, etc. I left the service feeling like an irresponsible teenager, childish and immature and wishing I would have had my act together.

I wrote an apology email to all those involved last night and one response was especially meaningful. Not discounting my mess-up, but not condemning me either, he closed with these wonderful, reminding words...

"I'm comforted by the knowledge that our salvation, sanctification and eventual glorification is not riding on our own efforts.  That's something to be mindful of on days like today.  To God be the glory!"

"Nothing can for sin atone,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
Naught of good that I have done,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus."

On this Good Friday may we remember whether we show up on time and do exceedingly well, or whether we are late and blow it, it is not our acts and deeds that bring God's forgiveness and salvation. But rather the blood of Jesus.  To God be the glory indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment