Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Pleasing God? Pleasing Man?


As I’ve been reading in 1st and 2nd Samuel, as part of our Daily Walk Bible readings, I’ve been challenged by the actions of King Saul (1 Sam. 15) and King David (2 Sam. 6). On the one hand, you’ve got King Saul who was all caught up in what people thought of him. For example, when Saul didn’t fully obey the Lord’s commands via Samuel he made the following excuse, “Yes, I have sinned. I have disobeyed your instructions and the Lord’s command, for I was afraid of the people and did what they demanded” (1 Sam. 15:24, NLT, emphasis mine). For Saul, his decisions and actions were governed by what he thought the people desired and not what Samuel commanded or what the Lord required. A few verses later he was worried about his appearance before Israel when Samuel announced that he would not go with Saul to worship the Lord. Saul said, “but please, at least honor me before the elders of my people and before Israel by coming back with me…” (1 Sam. 15:30). For Saul, he was more concerned about what the people thought of him then what God thought of him. Saul was the quintessential people-pleaser.

On the other hand you have David who, in 2 Samuel 6, because of the return of the Ark of the Covenant, was dancing and leaping with joy before the Lord and he didn’t care what others thought. Even when his own wife, Michal, rebuked him for his supposed dancing to impress the ladies David responded with this defense, “Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this, even to be humiliated in my own eyes!” (NLT) Apparently, to Michal, David’s worship was for show but David felt his dance was exclusively for God. His audience was an audience of One, God. As the commentary in our DWB showed, “in the eyes of the God who distinguishes motives, David’s worship was accepted, and Michal was rejected for her judgment.”

In these passages we saw that there were two kings with two different modes of operation. For David, his concern was God and his glory and decisions were made based on what God would want. While Saul was concerned with what the people thought and how it would bring him glory or shame.

In these challenging days I have been encouraged and heartened to have the attitude of King David. I want to also be like Paul who strove to live out Galatians 1:10, “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ” (NIV).

People pleasing can lead to all kinds of negative consequences, just ask any teenager who gave into peer-pressure at some point and they will relay their regrets of their poor decisions. With our faith in Christ, and the pull of our society against Christian faith and Biblical values, this is even more the case. No matter what we face, I pray that we would “cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked” (1 Tim. 1:19, NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment