Monday, February 11, 2013

Vows and Fasting

As I read Numbers 6 this morning I was struck with the sense of importance that these men and women had, and were called to, when they took the Nazarite vow. It got me thinking about my own "vows" that I have made for this week of prayer and fasting at our church. How seriously am I taking these? How am I setting myself apart to the Lord? Are these routine acts or am I doing things that will challenge the normal patterns and habits of my day and my life?

This quote on Numbers 6:1-2 was a real challenge to me, "In our passage, as in Lev. 27:2, the verb is used of an extraordinary vow of a devotee of Yahweh. This vow, then, does not describe a routine matter or even an expected act of devotion one might make from time to time. It is an act of unusual devotion to God, based perhaps on an intense desire to demonstrate to the Lord one's utter separation to him" (Ronald B. Allen, Expositors Bible Commentary: Numbers, pg. 749).

With whatever we decide to do for prayer and fasting I encourage us to be prayerful yet cautious with what "vows" we commit to doing this week. Remember what Proverbs says, "Don't trap yourself by making a rash promise to God and only later counting the cost" (20:25, NLT). And remember what Jesus said, "But I say, do not make any vows! ... Just say a simple, 'Yes, I will' or 'No, I won't.'" (Mt. 5:33-37, NLT).

With this said though, don't be afraid to step out in faith and challenge yourself to seek God! Remember the words of the Chronicler, "Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive theirs sins and restore their land" (2 Chr. 7:14).

God bless you this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment