Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Who will you be like this year?


As I have done our Daily Walk Bible (DWB) reading thus far this year I have been encouraged and challenged by what scripture has to say about some of the Biblical characters. For example:

*“When it was time for the harvest, Cain presented some of his crops as a gift to the Lord. Abel also brought a gift—the best of the firstborn lambs from his flock” (Genesis 4:3-4).
*“After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch lived in close fellowship with God for another 300 years…walking in close fellowship with God” (5:22-24).
*“Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless person living on earth at the time, and he walked in close fellowship with God” (6:9).
“And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith” (15:6).
“Jesus called out to them (Simon and Andrew), “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” And they left their nets at once and followed him” (Matthew 4:19-20).

When I offer to God my time, talents and treasures am I like Cain and only offering some of myself? Or am I like Abel and offering the best of what I have?

On a daily basis, am I “remaining” or “abiding” in Christ (John 15) and thus walking in close fellowship like Enoch and Noah?

Like Abram, when faced with the uncertainty of the future am I showing my faith in God and in his sovereign plan and will for my life and the life of our church?

Am I willing to follow Christ at once, thereby counting the cost of being his disciple, and doing what He calls me to do?

All these, and many more, are the people in Scripture who are inspiring me to ask tough questions of my life and faith. How about you? Who are you reading about and how are you being challenged and encouraged today in your Christian faith?

No matter where you are in life, even if you are in the pit of despair or in prison like Joseph, the Lord will be with you and will show you “his faithful love” (Gen. 39:21).

No comments:

Post a Comment