Thursday, September 20, 2012

Walking through the Valleys

Some time back I was really struggling in life, probably depressed as I look back now, yet trying to hold on to joy. I had this verse written on a notecard that was taped above the kitchen sink so that I could look at it and pray through it while doing dishes...

Habakkuk 3:17-19 (NLT)

17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
    and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
    and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
    and the cattle barns are empty,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
    I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength!
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
    able to tread upon the heights.

Fairly recently a friend's battle with cancer surfaced this verse again and reminded me how even when things look the most desperate and barren and hopeless (as in Habakkuk's day with the coming destruction at the hands of the Babylonians, see Hab. 1:6ff) we can still find our joy and strength in "the God of Israel is our fortress" (Ps. 46:7).

I'll admit I am a day behind in my Daily Walk Bible reading (there, as the leader of the DWB reading program I feel relieved having now confessed :) so when I read this verse this morning it struck another chord...

Dear, dear friends of ours in Massachusetts are right now trying to rejoice in the Lord in the face of hardship. As the wife said, "Romans 12:12 is my mantra..."Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer" (ESV). Amen. 

My wife and I have been praying for this family a lot and so I have added this verse from Habakkuk to our "quiver" of arrow prayers to pray to our gracious, heavenly Father.

In the midst of these circumstances it's been very timely that I've been waking up to this song called The Valley Song by Jars of Clay and it seems so appropriate for these days in which we find ourselves. 

"I will sing of your mercy that leads me through valleys of sorrow to rivers of joy ... hallelujah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment