Saturday, August 4, 2012

Standing firm as a spokesperson of God

 
Photograph by Fritz von der Schulenburg found here

In our Daily Walk Bible readings we are marching through the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah and I have been thoroughly challenged and impressed with his obedience to proclaiming God's tough message of repentance or judgment. It got me thinking, could I do this?

Time and again, the Lord comes to Jeremiah with a message for him to declare and he faithfully carries through with the task. Many times his messages are accompanied by an object lesson that further illustrates God's point. We see Jeremiah use: a rotten loincloth (13:1-11), jars of wine (13:12-14), the rain (14:1-9) and maybe the most well known, the clay jars (19:1-13).

While giving these divine-messages Jeremiah is ridiculed and struggles with the rejection he receives. The New Living Translation reads like this in 17:15ff, "People scoff at me and say, 'What is this message from the Lord you talk about? Why don't your predictions come true?'" 

What we read is a willing Prophet who is caught between faithfulness to God and an understandable desire to avoid pain and rejection.  And who can blame him? He cries out, "Lord, I have not abandoned my job as a shepherd for your people...you have heard everything I have said...but don't let me experience shame and dismay." And so he continues to proclaim the Lord's Word: honor the Sabbath day and keep it holy (17:19-27), "turn from your evil ways each of you, and do what is right" (18:11), and "I will bring disaster upon this city and its surrounding towns as I promised, because you have stubbornly refused to listen to me" (19:15).

Even after he was arrested, put in stocks and whipped (20:1-2) Jeremiah continues to pronounce the Word of the Lord. Yet we see his human vulnerability and emotional struggles, "these messages from the Lord have made me a household joke" (20:8). While he hates being mocked and laughed at (20:7), and while he knows rumors are flying (20:10), he stays true to God's call on his life. After all, "if I say I'll never mention the Lord or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It's like a fire in my bones!" (20:9)

Ultimately, Jeremiah knows and trusts that "the Lord stands beside me like a great warrior. Before him my persecutors will stumble" (20:11). No matter what we face, what a refreshing thought that this verse is still true today! What a blessing to remember that he will never leave us nor forsake us (Deut. 31:6, Heb. 13:5) and that he is with us always to the very end of the age (Mt. 28:20).

When we have the opportunity to share our faith, may we share it boldly for as Paul said in Rom. 10:15, quoting the prophet Isaiah, "how beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

And when we face "the devil's schemes" and "rulers, authorities, and the powers of this dark world" may we "stand and stand firm then" and put on the full armor of God (Eph 6:10-19).

And when we find ourselves wanting "the approval of men" may we instead be found to "be a servant of Christ" instead (Gal. 1:10).

Like Jeremiah, may we stand firm in whatever the Lord brings across our path and may we be found to be a faithful spokesman or spokeswoman for the Lord. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment