Friday, May 11, 2012

Can list making be a Spiritual Discipline?

 

Maybe you are like me and you get fed up with how much you want to remember but the reality is that so much of it gets forgotten. So you make lists. You have lists on your counter at home, on your bedside stand, on your desk at work, on your iPhone, on your laptop...soon you are swimming in post-it notes of various lists.

I started two new spiritual disciplines this morning as part of my morning quiet time and I hope they will not only bear much fruit in my life, in my marriage and in my walk with Christ. But I also hope it will help me to better remember the beautiful things of God!

My wife loves praise and worship music and we have many CDs so I decided to take what I do well (making lists) and take what I don't do well (remembering music lyrics) and pair them together. The hope and plan is to listen to one or two songs a day and really focus on the lyrics and discern the maid ideas or themes of the song. What is being said? What Truth is being conveyed? And then write the song title and album on a list for future reference when I'm looking for that right song for someone in need or when planning a worship service.

Today I started with The Gospel Song and The Glories of Calvary by Sovereign Grace Music which can be found here. Or you can listen to the entire album here for free.


To take my list making a step further (I know, I know, my best friend from college is probably laughing right now saying your OCD is definitely coming out :) as I was reading through Nehemiah 11-13 and Esther 1-2 this morning I also started lists of themes from these chapters. Themes like: The Precedence for Choirs in Worship, Confrontation and Guarding the purity of God's People, the Precedence for the Involvement of Children in Worship, Tithing, How Women/Wives and Men/Husbands are to be Treated and to Act, God's Sovereignty, etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing music lyrics and Scripture passages come alive today in a new way... in the form of lists!

Long live the journal and post-it note! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment